Eaten around the Middle East and North Africa, mujadara is a delicious and hearty layered dish of rice, lentils and caramelized onions. This is our version using Chef2Table MegaMeal – its nutritious, delicious and best of all, budget-friendly!
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 250g pack of Chef2Table MegaMeal, Vegetable Flavour
- 1L water
- 5 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 onions
- Plain yogurt and fresh parsley for serving
- In a large soup pot, heat a teaspoon of the cooking oil.
- Fry the garlic, bay leaves and cumin for one minute being careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Add the Chef2Table MegaMeal and water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, thinly slice the onions.
- Heat a frying pan and add the remaining cooking oil.
- Test to check if the oil is hot enough by adding a single slice of onion. If it sizzles, ad the rest of the onion.
- Stir only every 3 minutes or so at first, then more often once the onions at the edges of the pan start browning. Cook until the onions are a warm brown colour and starting to crisp at the edges, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, sprinkle the onions with a little salt.
- Transfer the cooked Chef2Table MegaMeal to a serving bowl and top with the caramelized onions.
- Serve with plain yogurt and fresh parsley.